Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Glucose Testing

Well yesterday was my one hour glucose testing which tests for gentational diabeties. At 6:25am I drank some really sweet water (lemon lime) and an hour later they drew some blood. Well, I didn't pass. The high end of passing is 140 and I was at 159. So at that point they said I had to take another test today that tested for a longer period of time.

So, today I had to fast for 12 hours before they start the test. At 9 am they did a fasting blood draw as a starting point. Then I drank another really sweet drink, orange flavored this time. After you finish the drink they draw your blood once an hour for 3 hours so you still can't eat. Ugg, that is really hard for a pregnant woman. :) 12:15 they drew my last draw.

Lunch usually comes at 12:30 so I thought I'd just wait until lunch. At 12:40 I called the nurses desk to see if lunch was here cause I was STARVING!! She said she'd check on it. At 1:00 I hadn't heard so I called out there again and asked them if I could just eat something becuase I have a ton of food in my room. My nurse came in and said yes I could eat something. They had put my lunch on hold because of the test but I could eat something from my room.

Thankfully the nurse came back about 5 min later and said my results were back and I PASSED. Yeah, I was so worried about having gestational diabeties. I was relieved that that I didn't have to worry about that.

Also today I got to leave my room for the first time. I've been granted permission to take a wheel chair out of my room for a half an hour. So, after Corey was done with work he took me for a ride up to the roof where they have a big patio that patients can use. It over looks the entire harbor and it's just beautiful. It felt so nice to be outisde and in the fresh air. And the weather was so nice I was in a zip up hoodie and that's it. It was so nice.

The babies looked good on the monitor tonight and the uterus was calm so today was a pretty good day. One day at a time and so far they are doing wonderful. I couldn't ask for more. Happy Wednesday tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Joscy- that happened to me. The second testing is just miserable but the outcome is wonderful when you pass it! Take care of you and your family!-Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates, Cousin! So glad you got to get out of your room!!!

    ReplyDelete