Saturday, March 20, 2010

SMDC Living

Thought I would update all of you on my new situation. Came into the docs on Thursday for our ultrasound. First, the babies looked wonderful. He is 1lb 10oz and she is 1lb 9oz. Great weight for their gentational age. Doc said the babies look perfect. Becky came with for that part and thought it was great. She hadn't seen it before. Both babies are still completely sideways with both heads on one side. We got pictures.

Then they did the vaginal u/s and found that although the cerclage is still in place there is a hole where a portion of the cervix has opened and I'm about 1cm dialated. Not good news. So, the doc wanted me to be admitted to the hospital in order to receive the steriod shots that would help the babies lungs develop just in case. She also wanted me to stay until Wednesday until the high risk doc gets back.

I checked into the hospital and they hooked me up to the machine that tracks contractions and it turns out that I was having a bunch of contractions and I didn't even know it. I couldn't feel a thing. Doc said less than 5 percent of people have contractions and not feel them. I guess I fit into that category. If this was a regular pregnancy I would say that's awesome. Since it's not I was bummed. So now I was officially in pre-term labor at 24 weeks. Not good. They started an IV and started me on magnesim to try to stop the contractions. I stayed on that for 24 hours and also am taking an oral medication. At about 3:30am things finally started to calm down. Since then things have been relatively quiet. I'm still on the oral meds but no longer on the magnesium. I've also received both shots of steriods in case the babies are born this week.

So, the goal now is just to try to keep my uterus from contracting because this causes changes in the cervix and we don't want the stitch to start to pull or tear. So far doc says it's not but she wants it to remain that way.

We also met with the NICU doc on Thursday about options if the babies were born this week. Stats are not good with babies born this early but there have been good outcomes. We had a good chat with him. We are just hoping not to have to see him for another couple of weeks.

So it sounds like I will be here until the babies are born. Hoping that will be awhile. I will keep everyone updated. The last couple days have been very emotional for both Corey and I so we've been kind of out of communication. I will keep you posted more often now. Corey set up the lap top here at the hospital for me so I'm all connected.

4 comments:

  1. This all sounds too familiar to me. You are in the best of hands at SMDC. And the NICU staff is top notch. Thinking of you! Please, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God give you and Cory strength through this stage in your pregnancy. Those little babies need to stay put for a while, they are to anxious to come out and see you both. You are an awesome couple who will be making great parents.

    The breast pump is delivered to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of love and prayers your way. We love you guys. It sounds liKe you in good hands, angels are around those babies and you guys. Can we send you Mail to the Hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that you have to hang out in the hospital Joscelyn. We pray for you and your babies every night and send our positive thoughts that they stay where they need to for weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete