Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Triplet Neighbors

The day before I gave birth a woman was admitted that was pregnant with triplets. The little muchkins were born yesterday and Tyler has a new neighbor names Cole. The triplets were born at 32 weeks so they are bigger than our little ones but it was interesting to see what the process is when they bring the kids into the NICU. Organized chaos is how I would describe it. There are so many people taking care of the kids it's crazy. The triplets were done via invitro and then one of the eggs split so there are a pair of identical twin boys and a girl. They are so cute. Each just over 3lbs a piece.

Our kids are now both gaining weight which is so exciting for us. Tyler is 2lbs 6oz and Dillan is just under 2lbs. We were hoping she'd hit the 2lb mark yesterday but she was just under. We are also happy that their feedings have increased. Both kids started at 1ml of food per feeding, which is every 3 hours. Tyler is now up to 9mls, and Dillan is up to 7mls. Before each feeding they check their stomach to make sure they are digesting all the food properly and both kids have been. I think they have to be able to digest 25ml of food through their feeding tubes before they will try a bottle or breastfeeding so let's just hope the feedings increase.

Yesterday Tyler started a new thing that we hadn't seen before. They call it apnea, the same as the sleep disorder. The way the doctor explained it is right now if the kids were still inside me they would just be starting to practice to breathe. If they forget once in awhile, it's not a big deal because they don't need to breathe yet. Well, because they are now born it's a big deal if they forget. If they forget to take a breath, their heart beats and oxygen levels drop and they have little alarms that go off. Usually it takes them a second and then they remember but sometimes the nurses have to help them by stimulating them or putting oxygen by their nose. It's expected and common in babies born this early but it was new to us and the alarms scared us. The doctor wasn't worried about them at all. He said Tyler was normal for having this happen and Dillan is the little super star because she hadn't had it happen at all. Yeah for my little peanut being a super star.

Corey changed diapers for the first time yesterday. I have to say he's a natural. I think he's more comfortable with it than I am. I may use that to my advantage when they come home!!! :)

We've been doing kangaroo care with both kids almost daily. Corey got to hold Dillan for the first time on Monday and I had Tyler. Then last night I just had Tyler out for about an hour. I'm hoping to have Dillan out again tonight.

I am getting better and better every day. I quit taking the stronger of my two pain meds yesterday. They make me dizzy and tired and I'd rather be a little sore. So, I'm on Motrin now and that's it. I can't wait to be able to drive again myself. I'm hoping by next week sometime that will happen. We will see. The doctor says I have to be able to slam on the breaks without grabbing my stomach before I can drive. Well I'm not there yet but hopefully soon.

Ok, off to get a couple things done before my daily trip to the hospital. Thank you again to all of you for the support. Grandma's and Grandpa's have been driving me up to the hospital daily and I can't thank them enough.

3 comments:

  1. All very familiar. As you were probably already assured, apnea is VERY common. And, I have also been told that girls do better. I have a book if you'd like to borrow it. Sounds like things are going well. Hope they continue to rest and grow, and you are taking time to rest and heal. Before you know it you will all be home together, and then in another blink you will be chasing them around the house! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the updates!! Sounds like they both are doing very well. I will need to stop over there to check them out. I sure miss you as a patient! Be sure to stop over and visit us sometime! Keep resting so you will have all the energy in the world when the little ones come home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joscy,

    You and the children are teaching me things I never knew about premie care before, ---- your stories are all so very interesting. I love reading about how you each get to participate so regularily in their care, --- this is such good practice before you take these precious ones home. Diana is right, get your rest now, and enjoy your quiet moments, mothering is active and very physical, enjoy these quiet, peaceful, healing days.

    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete