Monday, April 19, 2010

Monday Update

Just an update on how the kids are doing. Over the weekend they put in CVL lines for both Dillan and Tyler. The lines are a catheter that is inserted into their arms and up into their shoulders so the doctors don't have to continue poking them for IV's. These lines can stay in up to a month instead of having to be replaced every couple days like IV's. Both lines went in well which was good to hear.

Saturday we got to do kangaroo time with Dillan just like we did with Tyler on Friday. She did really well but she is so tiny that it was hard to get some pictures of her. They put a hat on her head because the night before Tyler's temp dropped more than they wanted to see. So she was really buried but was so happy. I also got to change Dillan's diaper on Saturday night for the first time. Talk about a step by step process for this new mom. :) But it feels so good to participate in their care as much as we can.

Last night I got to change both Tyler and Dillan's diapers and take Tyler's temp. Dillan decided it would be fun to poop right as I was changing her and the nurse was making fun of how many wipes I used. Like I said, new mom! :) They take the babies temps in their arm pits so the nurse showed me how on Dillan and I got to do Tylers.

We were going to hang around until after the nurses dinner last night so we could hold them but both babies were so content and sleeping so good that we decided not to bother them. Dad still hasn't been able to hold them and I know he really wants to but hopefully tonight we will be able to make that work.

Dillan is still loosing weight as of last night. She is down to 1lb 14oz. She is such a peanut. Tyler gained a little weight yesterday which was a good sign. He is at 2lb 6oz. The doctors told us that the babies usually loose weight the first 8 or 9 days but then gain it rapidly after that. They estimate the babies will be back to their birth weight by day 14. We will keep you posted on that. Both babies are up to 4ml of milk per feeding. If that continues to go well they will increase it to 6ml today. They started at just 1ml. Yesterday when we were there Dillan pulled her feeding tube out of her nose. Yuck is that icky. We watched the nurse put it back in and another nurse there was laughing at us because of the look on our faces. I couldn't help but think of how uncomfortable it is to have anything in my nose and they just feed that little tube right through the nose all the way to their bellies. Ick. But it went in fine and she ate right afterwards.

I continue to heal at home. I can now get out of bed by myself which is good because Corey went back to work this morning. Every day I try to cut back on the amount of pain meds I take because I hate the way they make me feel. The only time they are really necessary is when I get in the car. The car ride back and forth to the NICU isn't pleasant.

Hope everyone has a good Monday. Many thanks for all the continued support and love being sent our way.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear the twins are doing well and we continue to think of all of you and pray for Dillan and Tyler!

    ReplyDelete